Canva’s versatility offers endless creative possibilities, but without effective project organization, it can lead to unnecessary stress. Let’s explore the essential tools to help manage your projects within Canva. And the best part is that no premium subscription is required.
1. Deleting Projects
As you use Canva more frequently, your projects will accumulate, which can result in your workspace looking disorganized. Despite the platform’s useful search feature, the best starting point for organizing your projects in Canva is to delete each of the ones that you don’t need.
Deleting your projects in Canva is very simple:
- Open Canva and go to Projects in the left-hand toolbar.
- Select All.
- Hover your cursor over a project you want to delete. When the icon with three dots appears, click on it.
- Select Move to trash.
- If you click on the Trash tab in the left-hand toolbar, you can find your recently-deleted projects. Here, you can either opt to delete them permanently, or—if you accidentally deleted something—to restore it.
If you’re a new Canva user, check all these types of content that you can create in Canva. And if you’re using the mobile app, see our beginner’s guide to using the Canva app.
2. Creating Folders and Sub-Folders
Another way to organize your projects in Canva is by creating folders and sub-folders. These work in a similar fashion to other programs you may use, such as keeping your Google Drive organized or doing the same with a program like OneDrive.
To create folders and sub-folders in Canva, follow these steps:
- Go to Projects and select Add new in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Folder when the dropdown menu appears.
- Enter your folder name and hit Continue.
- You can then make a sub-folder by clicking on your newly-created folder and selecting Add new > Folder again. Enter the name of your new sub-folder before continuing.
After making your folders and sub-folders, drag and drop your projects into them. It’s also possible to upload files from your computer to folders in Canva, such as photos that you may want to use in future designs.
3. Moving Projects to Different Folders
You might want to occasionally move your Canva projects into different projects, and doing so is quite simple:
- Go to the project you want to move in and select the icon with three dots.
- Select Move to folder and choose the folder you want to move your project to.
- If you’d like to create a new folder, select Create new instead.
4. Starring Folders
While folders and sub-folders can help keep your projects organized, you should also arrange your folders in a way that’s easy for you to access. This is especially true for the ones that you use more frequently than others.
You can use many of the same tips that apply to managing and organizing files on your computer. But one feature in Canva that you should pay particular attention to is the ability to star folders. Your starred folders will appear in one place, allowing you to access them whenever you need.
To star a folder in Canva, follow these steps:
- Go to the Canva homepage and select Projects.
- Scroll down to the Folders section.
- Look for the folder(s) you want to star. For each of them, hover your cursor until you see the three dots icon. Click on it.
- When the dropdown menu appears, select Star folder.
- To access your starred folders, go to Folders and select Starred.
It’s also possible to mark folders as starred by going into them and tapping the star icon next to your folder name.
5. Renaming Projects
When you create a project in Canva or choose a template, you can pick a default name to make saving everything easier. But if you want to improve your skills in organizing your Canva projects, it’s a good idea to rename your projects to something that’s easy to remember and search for.
Changing the names of your projects in Canva is incredibly easy. Follow the steps below:
- Go to the project you want to rename in Canva.
- Hover your cursor over the title until the pencil icon appears. When it does, click on it.
- Enter your new project name when the title text is highlighted in blue.
6. Changing the Display Order in Canva
You can also manage your Canva projects by adjusting the display order. You’ve got the option to view your projects in any of the following ways:
- Most relevant
- Newest edited
- Oldest edited
- Alphabetical (A-Z)
- Alphabetical (Z-A)
To change the display order in Canva, go to the menu beneath Add new in the top right. When you see the dropdown menu, choose your preferred way to view everything.
7. Using the Grid and List Views
Another easy way to adjust how you view your Canva projects on your screen is by changing between the Grid and List views.
- In the Projects section, go to the icon that either looks like three bullet points with three lines or four squares in the top right.
- Click on the icon to change your view to either Grid or List view. If you want to change it back, simply click the icon again.
Maximizing your Canva project organization is just one of the ways to get the most out of Canva.
Keep Your Canva Projects Organized
Organizing your projects in Canva will make it much easier to access everything as and when you need it. You can keep everything together in numerous ways, such as deleting old projects you no longer need and making different folders. It’s also possible to make folders easier to access by starring them.
Once you find a method for managing your Canva projects more efficiently, you shouldn’t have too many problems keeping track of everything. However, you’ll also need to regularly put in the effort to ensure that everything doesn’t become messy again.