Why download the Google Lens app separately when you can access it in Google Photos?
While Google Lens is available as a standalone app, you can access its features in Google Photos if you want to use them on existing photos on your device. We’ll show you how to use Google Lens to translate text, identify objects, and more in the Google Photos app.
How to Copy, Search, Listen, and Translate Text in Google Photos
Whether you use the iOS or Android version of Google Photos, you can follow the steps below to translate text, copy text from images, listen to it, or even look up that text on Google:
Download: Google Photos for Android | iOS (Free, subscription available)
- Open the Google Photos app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Select the photo with text that you want to use Google Lens on.
- Tap the Lens option at the bottom. Google Lens will then analyze the photo and provide you with relevant information.
- Now, tap to highlight any text on the image to reveal the available actions in the bottom menu. You can move the text placeholders to select more text, and depending on what you are looking for, you can tap Copy text, Search, Listen, or Translate buttons to get the information you need.
How to Search for Any Item or Object in an Image on Google Photos
The steps are mostly similar if you need to get more information about a vehicle, a place, a landmark, a product, or any item in an image saved on your phone. However, you need to take a different approach. So, here’s what you need to do:
- Open the image of interest in the Google Photos app.
- Tap the Lens option in the bottom menu and wait for the app to analyze the photo.
- If the image has a single object or item, it will be selected automatically, and relevant search results will appear at the bottom. You can scroll up to find more results and tap to open the one you want. However, if there are multiple objects, you need to tap on each specific object to get its information separately.
For more precise results, adjust the crop markers to cover just the object you want to search.
Google Photos Makes It Easy to Access Google Lens Features
With Google Lens features integrated into the Google Photos app, you can learn more about the text, objects, and scenes in your photos and take action on them without leaving the app. Even better, this is coupled with ease of use and accessibility to everyone for free.